The SPA conference website deploys to production automatically on merge to master. It is on shared hosting, and setting this up with Travis was a bit tricky, so I’m blogging how I did it in case it’s useful for others.
One of my main aims as Open Source Lead at the Government Digital Service was to make sure that there were good resources in place to help people code in the open. Many of these didn’t exist when I started the role so I created them. I’ve collected useful resources here.
Every digital service designed within government has to meet the Digital Service Standard. One of the requirements of the standard is that new source code should be made open and published under an open source licence.
I have been the Open Source Lead at GDS for a year now. Here are some of the things I’ve achieved and learned.
In August I gave a talk about coding in the open in government at Turing Fest. The video has just been published and you can watch it on their site (you can skip the email request).
I usually publicise new posts on Twitter, though I also have an Atom feed. However, Twitter relies on people seeing it at the right time, so I’ve set up a mailing list for new blog posts (and possibly very occasional annoucements).
There’s a task I have to do every now and again for which
awk is the best tool, but it’s infrequent enough that I always have to remind myself how. Usually by referring back to some shell scripts we wrote 5 years ago, so thought I’d post here instead.
I run the website for SPA conference. This conference has been running for more than 20 years, and I’ve been the web admin since 2014. This is about one step in updating a 20-year-old legacy PHP site into something more modern: removing the integrated wiki. The story is in two parts and this part is about how I made sure links to the old wiki still worked. It involves many, many things I learned about
I run the website for SPA conference. This conference has been running for more than 20 years, and I’ve been the web admin since 2014. This is about one step in updating a 20-year-old legacy PHP site into something more modern: removing the integrated wiki. The story is in two parts, and this part is about why I removed the integrated wiki and the changes I made to the function of the site to accommodate that.
There are two big concerns government organisations have around making source code open. They want to know which subsets of the code should be kept closed and how to code in the open securely. To address these questions I’ve introduced two pieces of guidance: